Chinese Mahjong Bone & Bamboo Tiles - Vintage "Qilin Kirin Set"
Brand: Yellow Mountain Imports
A fine mahjong set brings elegance and color to a room even when it's not being played, and this set is one of the most elegant we've seen. With five sliding drawers in a richly colored rosewood block with the mythical Qilin creature carved into it, this set will add a touch of beauty into your home. The Qilin (Kirin in Japanese) is a peaceful gentle creature that is said to appear only in areas ruled by a wise and benevolent leader (even if only in a household!). It is a good omen that brings serenity and prosperity wherever it appears.
This set is a reproduction of the classic sets from Shanghai that first sparked mahjong's popularity in the West in the 1920's. The tiles are made from crisp new bamboo and cattle bone, inscribed with fabulously colored designs.
Please note that this is a hand made mahjong set made with natural materials using traditional methods. Each tile is cut and carved one piece a time, and the characters are inked by hand. Hand cut bone and bamboo tiles are slightly smaller than fiberglass mahjong tiles, and coloring and shape varies slightly from tile to tile and set to set.
- Contains 144 Tiles: 36 Circles, 36 Bamboos, 36 Characters, 12 Dragons, 16 Winds (N, S, E, W), 8 Flowers.
- Includes a pair of dice, a set of betting sticks, and four wind tiles for determining seating placement.
- The case measures 9-1/8"L x 8-1/2"W x 6-7/8"H (23.25cm x 21.75cm x 17cm)
- Tiles measure 1-3/16"L x 13/16"W x 1/2"H (3.2cm x 2.2cm x 1.2cm)
- PLEASE NOTE: This is a traditional Chinese mahjong set designed for Chinese mahjong rules. It does not contain joker tiles or racks| If you are buying this set as a gift and are unsure whether the recipient plays American or Chinese style mahjong, we recommend purchasing an American set. American sets contain all the tiles for both versions of play.