American Mahjong Set, "Bone and Bamboo Tiles" with 5-Drawer Rosewood Case - A Set of Betting Sticks, Pair of Dice, Four Winds Tiles
Brand: Yellow Mountain Imports
A fine mahjong set brings elegance and color to a room even when it's not being played, and this set is one of the finest we've seen. With five sliding drawers in a richly colored rosewood block inlaid with shell decorations of birds in flight, this set will delight your friends and brighten your home.
This set is a reproduction of the classic sets from Shanghai that first sparked mahjong's popularity in the West in the 1920's. The tiles are made from crisp new bamboo and cattle bone, inscribed with fabulously colored designs.
Please note that this is a handmade mahjong set made with natural materials using traditional methods. Each tile is cut and carved one piece a time, and the characters are inked by hand. Hand cut bone and bamboo tiles are slightly smaller than fiberglass.
- American Mahjong Set, "Vintage Inspired": Just as the early imported mahjong sets from the 1920's, this particular set is crafted from snow white cattle bone and delicate slabs of bamboo. This set is versatile (can also play Chinese Mahjong!).
- Handcrafted Mahjong Tiles: Each tile measures 1.3 x 0.9 x 0.5 inches (3.2 x 2.2 x 1.2 centimeters) and are traditional standard size, making them slightly smaller than contemporary tiles. Tile markings are carved and painted by hand, and the bone and bamboo halves are dovetailed together. Since these tiles are handcrafted, the color and shape charmingly and subtly vary from tile to tile and from set to set.
- Mahjong Accessories: Includes 166 tiles consisting of 36 dots, 36 bams, 36 craks, 12 dragons, 16 winds, 16 flowers, 10 jokers, and 4 blank spares; a pair of dice, a set of betting sticks, four wind tiles for determining seating placement, and illustrated instructions are also included. Please note: Racks are not included in the set.
- Classic Five Drawer Rosewood Case: The box measures 9.3 x 6.7 x 7.5 inches (23.5 x 17 x 19 centimeters). Tiles are stored in separate drawers with a front cover panel decorated shell inlays depicting birds in flight, floral images, calligraphy, and geometric designs. Complete set weighs 7.8 pounds (3.52 kilograms).
- 30-Day Return Policy: We want you to be satisfied with your purchase; you are backed by our 30-day no questions asked money back return policy so you can buy with confidence.
Pretty good reproduction, but defective.
This set is similar to the wood boxes from the 1920s, except for the disappointing masonite back panel with holes to stick your fingers through to push open the drawers. The bamboo and bone tiles are handmade and nice. But my box has a deep crack in the wood, and one of the tiles has a distinctive stain that is visible while playing. I notified Yellow Mountain Imports of the problems about a week ago, but no answer from them yet, only an acknowledgment that they received my message.