American Mahjong Set, Bone and Bamboo Tiles in Rosewood Case "The Water Margin" - A Set of Betting Sticks, Pair of Dice, Four Winds Tiles
Brand: Yellow Mountain Imports
"Outlaws of the Marsh" (also known by its literal translation as "The Water Margin") is one of the great classic novels of China. It's the story of the bandit Song Jiang and his 36 companions and is filled with intrigue, deception, and bluff - the perfect subtext for a mahjong game.
The bone and bamboo tiles included with this set are individually hand carved with intricate figures of Song Jiang and his cohorts. The case is made from Chinese rosewood and features a design of birds and flowers from inlaid mother of pearl. All items in this set are newly crafted.
Because of the time it takes to craft these tile sets, we only have a limited number available. Please note that this is a handmade mahjong set made with natural materials using traditional methods. Each tile is cut and carved one piece a time.
- 166 Tiles Include: 36 Dots, 36 Bams, 36 Craks, 12 Dragons, 16 Winds, 16 Flowers, 10 Jokers, and 4 Blank Spares
- Includes three dice, a set of betting sticks, and four wind tiles for determining seating placement
- The case measures 11"L x 8-5/8"W x 3-1/2"H (28cm x 22cm x 9cm)
- Tiles measure 1-3/8"L x 1"W x 9/16"H (3.5cm x 2.5cm x 1.5cm)
- PLEASE NOTE: Although this set has 166 tiles for playing American mahjong rules, the tiles are inscribed with Chinese characters only, and it is therefore recommended for advanced players of American mahjong
The Water Margin Treasure Set
I very much enjoy shopping at Yellow Mountain. I was disappointed in this particular product and did return it. I felt the carving and painting on the tiles were too delicate and hard to see. The paint was also smudged on some of the tiles. Because I did not remove the protective clear plastic from around the tiles I was able to return the product which I appreciate very much. I will continue to be a customer at Yellow Mountain. I have been very pleased with all my other purchases.
Heirloom set that you will need to pass on.
The hand painting makes it truly beautiful. The set is exquisite you will need to find someone to take it from the owner when they are finished with it. If you live in a dry climate find a way to keep the tiles from drying and from cracking. If you live in a humid climate you will need to keep them dry and from getting moldy and swelling.