Chinese Rosewood Mahjong Set with Bat Decoration
Brand: Yellow Mountain Imports
When mahjong first caught on in America in the 1920s, the elegant sets imported from Shanghai looked like this: finely polished cases made from elm and rosewood and hand painted tiles made from cattle bone and bamboo.
This set is a reproduction of those classic sets, crafted by hand from white cattle bone and Chinese bamboo. The cover of the case is inlaid with a bone design of bats. Bats are a symbol of good luck in Chinese (and particularly among mahjong players), as the Chinese word for bat "fu" is a homonym for the word for luck.
Please note that this is a hand made mahjong set made with natural materials using traditional methods. Each tile is cut and carved one piece a time, and the characters are inked by hand. Hand cut bone and bamboo tiles are slightly smaller than fibergla
- Contains 144 tiles: 36 Circles, 36 Bamboos, 36 Characters, 12 Dragons, 16 Winds (N, S, E, W), 8 Flowers.
- Includes three dice, a set of betting sticks, and four wind tiles for determining seating placement.
- The case measures 13-3/8L x 7-5/8"W x 3-1/4"H (33.9cm x 19.3cm x 8.2cm)
- Tiles measure 1-3/16"L x 13/16"W x 1/2"H (3.2cm x 2.2cm x 1.2cm) and are inscribed with Chinese characters only
- PLEASE NOTE: This is a traditional Chinese mahjong set designed for Chinese mahjong rules. It does not contain joker tiles or racks| If you are buying this set as a gift and are unsure whether the recipient plays American or Chinese style mahjong, we reco