Chinese Rosewood Mahjong Set with Bat Decoration
Brand: Yellow Mountain Imports
When mahjong first caught on in America in the 1920s, the elegant sets imported from Shanghai looked like this: finely polished cases made from elm and rosewood and hand painted tiles made from cattle bone and bamboo.
This set is a reproduction of those classic sets, crafted by hand from white cattle bone and Chinese bamboo. The cover of the case is inlaid with a bone design of bats. Bats are a symbol of good luck in Chinese (and particularly among mahjong players), as the Chinese word for bat "fu" is a homonym for the word for luck.
Please note that this is a handmade mahjong set made with natural materials using traditional methods. Each tile is cut and carved one piece a time, and the characters are inked by hand. These hand cut bone and bamboo tiles are slightly smaller than the tiles of most other mahjong sets.
- Contains 144 tiles: 36 Circles, 36 Bamboos, 36 Characters, 12 Dragons, 16 Winds (N, S, E, W), 8 Flowers.
- Includes three dice, a set of betting sticks, and four wind tiles for determining seating placement.
- The case measures 13-3/8L x 7-5/8"W x 3-1/4"H (33.9cm x 19.3cm x 8.2cm).
- Tiles measure 1-3/16"L x 13/16"W x 1/2"H (3.2cm x 2.2cm x 1.2cm) and are inscribed with Chinese characters only.
- PLEASE NOTE: This is a traditional Chinese mahjong set designed for Chinese mahjong rules. It does not contain joker tiles or racks. If you are buying a set as a gift and are unsure whether the recipient plays American or Chinese style mahjong, we recommend that you purchase the American set. Both styles of mahjong can be played on American mahjong sets.
- Reviews (1)
Quick shipping / Beautiful Product
The set was lovely and was well-packaged. I had a question and customer service responded promptly and solved my issue. I would definitely buy from this company again.