Shin Kaya Veneer 0.8-Inch Beginner's Reversible 13x13 / 9x9 Go Game Set Board with Single Convex Melamine Stones
Play, teach, or practice Go on a traditional Shin Kaya veneer Go set. Full-sized single convex stones with reversible 13x13 and 9x9 grids.
- REVERSIBLE GO BOARD (GOBAN): The 9x9 playing field is great for learning rules and fundamentals, while the 13x13 side helps expand a player into joseki and whole board concepts
- JAPANESE STANDARD SIZE: The board measures 13.8 x 13 x 0.8 inch (35 x 33 x 2 centimeters) and is made from Shin Kaya veneer with Japanese standard size grids of 22 x 23.5 millimeters
- SINGLE CONVEX STONES: 5.7 x 22mm (about 0.22 x 0.86 inch) size 3 stones made from scratch-resistant and durable melamine paired with 2 plastic bowls (gosu)
- PORTABLE SET: At 2.4kg (5.3lbs), this handy set can be played and enjoyed at home, school, work, or outdoors by kids and adults alike
- THE WAY TO GO: Included is Karl Baker's beginner classic booklet explaining the essential rules and strategies of Go
A great game not just for beginners, but for anyone wanting a shorter game or to teach a beginner.
I'm glad I got the .8 board. It's very sturdy. And the flat-bottom stones sit securely on the board.
Each color stones come in a bag that fits in their bowl. The bowls are very nice, but maybe I'll upgrade to bamboo in the future.
The enclosed rulebook is comprehensive with lots of illustrations.
Overall this is a great set.
Quick shipment and excellent quality of both the board and pieces.
tl;dr - Overall, a great starter set. Would recommend.
This set is not premium quality built with high-grade premium materials, but it's not meant to. It's a starter set. That is, for the price and the purpose, it's a great set. The board is pretty solid and allows for that satisfying click during stone placement. Despite having only a 9x9 and 13x13 board, you get a full set of stones that can be used on a 19x19 board, meaning that you can buy just a full size board without stones and use this set's set of stones, in order to save a little money. One thing the description doesn't mention, but something I appreciate, is that the go-ke ("bowls") have lids that snap closed. I wouldn't recommend carrying them upside down, but it's definitely enough to be confident that they won't just slide or fall off while moving them around, causing stones to spill out.
This is a great starter set that I am teaching my son to play Go with. I have had other sets before, but unfortunately, I left them in Taiwan when I moved the family to the US. I was going to retrieve a board and some stones when we planned to visit Taiwan last year but the trip was cancelled due to Covid travel restrictions. So I finally decided to buy this set from Yellow Mountain. It was a good choice. My son is enjoying this game very much and now beats me half the time.
Getting my boyfriend to play on a standard board is always too daunting, but he's happy to play on the 9x9 board. The board itself is beautiful with a lovely rich color.