Shin Kaya Beginner's Reversible 13x13 / 9x9 Go Game Set Board (0.8-inch) with Double Convex Melamine Stones
Learn, teach or practice Go on a traditional Shin-Kaya veneer Go set. Full-sized double convex stones with reversible 13x13 and 9x9 grids.
- Reversible Go Board (Goban): 13x13 playing field on one side and 9x9 on the other; The 9x9 is great for learning rules and fundamentals, while the 13x13 helps expand a player into joseki and whole board concepts
- Japanese Standard Size: The board measures 13.8 x 13 x 0.8 inch (35 x 33 x 2 centimeters) and is made from Shin Kaya veneer with Japanese standard size grids of 22 x 23.5 millimeters
- Double Convex Stones: 7.5 x 22mm (size 28) stones made from extremely durable melamine paired with 2 plastic bowls (gosu)
- Portable Set: At 2kg (4.4lbs), this handy set can be played and enjoyed at home, school, work or outdoors by kids and adults alike
- The Way to Go: Included is Karl Baker's beginner classic booklet explaining the essential rules and strategies of Go
my only goban and stones i had access to before getting these were a hinged wooden board and glass stones bought in the 80s by my parents in japan. the new stones on my new board initially felt a lot more slippery but the problem seems to have mostly gone away over time.
i recommend. places where go sets at this price are sold for quality as decent as this are hard to find.
Never played Go before. The look and feel of the board and stones is great! Although, the plastic containers for the stones feel cheap. Not a big deal overall.
Very good. Useful
I'm happy with this, except that Go is hard as sh*t!
The board is smooth (crazily so; I can slide a melamine stone across it easily) and a delight to play on. The stones, while lighter, handle nicely and though a bit slippy are also very nice to play with. The board has a heft but is light enough to put into a large bag to be taken almost everywhere, and the finish/indecently smooth surface is durable (though I suggest wrapping in a cloth when transporting). The veneer is consistent and continuous, giving it a great look (though it is a bit orangey under some lights, in normal lighting it looks wonderful).
13x13 Go is a great fast game; a fight in the corners can quickly connect to become a larger fight over the centre and more. It will definitely fill the void for Go players traveling; it retains most features of 19x19 and is much more compact.
YMI always makes great products, and this is another one. Get this if you want a budget board or a well made travel board to itch the Go scratch abroad.