Japanese Riichi Mahjong Set - Black Standard Size Tiles and Vinyl Case - with East Wind Tile, Set of Betting Sticks, & Dice
Play the exciting variation of Japanese mahjong with elegant jet black mahjong tiles engraved with vibrant colors. This Riichi set comes with everything you need to play.
- Japanese Mahjong Set: The most commonly played variant in Japan and Europe and the chosen Mahjong version of the European Mahjong Association; Plays with "Riichi" scoring rules and "Dora" tiles which throws an extra element of luck and uncertainty into the mix for a thrilling game!
- 144 Standard Size Tiles: Each jet black, scratch-resistant melamine tile measures 1 x 0.8 x 0.6 inch (2.6 x 2.0 x 1.6 centimeters); The tiles are marked with colorful engraving to prevent rubbing off due to repeated play; Includes 36 circles, 36 bamboos, 36 characters, 12 dragons (red, green and white), 16 winds (north, south, east, west), 4 flowers, and 4 red fives
- All-Inclusive Riichi Set: This portable set includes four trays for tile storage, four dice, a set of betting sticks, and an east wind tessera (for determining seating placement); The compact black vinyl case measures 11.2 x 7.3 x 2 inches (28.5 x 18.5 x 5 centimeters)
- Entire set weighs 5.5 lbs(2.5kg)
- Please note that these tiles are smaller than large size Japanese Mahjong tiles
It is easy to feel like you are just money to most companies, but I didn't feel that way at all doing business with Yellow Mountain Imports. They were warm and friendly. As far as the mahjong set goes, it is beautifully crafted. It appears exactly as pictured, and each piece is a pleasure to touch and hold. I feel like my set is flawless and well worth the money. I will be using this company for any future gaming needs.
Great. The tiles look cool and are fun to use.
Bought this set to celebrate getting shodan on tenhou.net, and I couldn't be happier with it. The black tiles are gorgeous and feel great to handle. Slightly smaller than I was expecting (having mostly seen Chinese sets irl with those huge chunky tiles), but great for bringing around in its little case for games on lunch at work etc.
The thing to be aware of with this set, I probably don't have to say to someone considering buying it: the coloration is non-standard. This makes it slightly harder to teach beginners using the set, as the hatsu and chun are not actually green and red. But that's such a minor thing.
The set comes with 4 small dice, which is 2 more than you'd usually need, I suppose as backups if/when you lose them. It also comes with 4 extra tiles that I've never seen before; I assume they're for some other variant of the game. Comes with extra 5s as well, if you don't want aka dora I suppose. These aren't complaints, just observations.
Overall I love the set.
As someone who has played a plethora of board games, I've always been open to trying different kinds from around the world. Mahjong being one of them I wanted a set that was both nice to look at and also affordable. Luckily I cab describe this set as that as the price for them was perfect and the tiles themselves are amazing in person with the simple elegance that comes from the tiles being all black. The way it all fits in its small and compact case makes this a perfect first buy for someone who wanted to try out Riichi Mahjong in person with friends.